Without enough clean oil, your vehicle’s engine can quickly degrade. But how can you know when the time has come for an oil change? Many modern vehicles come with an electronic “oil life” monitor, but knowing how to manually check your car’s oil health is an important skill for any car owner to possess—especially because it’s so simple!
To check your oil, follow these simple steps:
- Park on level ground.
- Let your engine cool a few minutes if the car has been running.
- Lift the hood.
- Find the oil reservoir and dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a rag or cloth.
- Reinsert the dipstick; be sure to push it all the way in.
- Remove the dipstick once again.
- Look at the end of the dipstick and look at the oil smear. Every car dipstick has a specific marker that indicates the ideal oil level, usually marked by small holes, the letters “L” or “H” (for “Low” and “High”), “Min” or “Max,” or hash marks across the stick.
- If your oil level is below the indicated marker, it’s time for an oil change.
If you need an oil change, schedule an appointment with Randall Noe Used Cars’ service department today. And if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, we’ll be happy to check your oil for you too!
Each year, over 40% of Americans make one or more resolutions for New Year’s. However, nearly half of those people have already given up on their goals by February. If you are looking to try something new this year, consider making resolutions for your car.
- Catch up on your maintenance. Read through your owner’s manual and find your vehicle’s maintenance schedule. If you have fallen behind in certain areas, have your car thoroughly inspected to get everything caught up.
- Make safety a priority. If you plan on shopping for a new car this year, put safety features at the top of your priority list. Look for vehicles that offer advanced safety features that can help you avoid an accident.
- Clean your car. Once a month, give your car a thorough cleaning inside and out. This will help preserve your car’s paint and will make it last longer.
- Pay attention to dashboard lights. If one of your dashboard lights turns on, don’t pretend that you didn’t see it. Get your car checked out to resolve the problem as quickly as you can.
Are you planning on trying any of these resolutions? If car shopping is in your future, we offer a great selection of quality used cars right here at Randall Noe Pre Owned Super Center.
2017 is on its way out and 2018 is quickly approaching. If you haven’t achieved your resolution by now, you’d better hurry. If you failed this year, take steps to ensure it doesn’t happy in 2018. At Randall Noe Pre Owned Super Center, we have a few tips to help you keep your 2018 New Year resolutions!
Look for Support
Many people can’t achieve their New Year resolutions alone. Finding a support group, whether it involves friends, family, or an actual outside support group, will ultimately increase your odds of success. Their encouragement can help drive you to keep working towards your goal.
Talk About it
Talking about your resolution with other people may be annoying, but it also helps commit you to your goal. It may also help to share your experiences with friends and family in order to fully realize how far you’ve come since ringing in the New Year.
The fact of the matter is that most people won’t be able to keep a years-long bad habit in a few days’ time. If you’ve been smoking for 40 years, don’t plan on quitting cold turkey. Instead, aim to cut down on how much your smoke per a day and continue working down from there. Small steps and changing slowly are the best methods of keeping your 2018 New Year resolutions.
Admittedly, winter in Texas is usually pretty mild. We never expect a white Christmas and any measurable snow fall is rare. However, because of this, when winter weather does come, many drivers are unprepared and that can lead to disaster.
Here are a few tips on how to be a better driver and prepare your car for a Texas winter.
- Check the weather. If winter weather is predicted, consider delaying your trip until it has passed. Stay where you are and wait until the roads are cleared.
- Inspect your vehicle. Cold weather can turn minor car trouble into major trouble. Check your battery, belts and hoses, and tires, to make sure everything is ready for the cold season ahead.
- Be prepared. Just in case you do find yourself stranded, you should keep an emergency kit in your car with items like a blanket, food and water, a pair of gloves, an ice scraper, and a bag of sand or kitty litter.
- Fill it up. By keeping your gas tank at least half full, it will help prevent your fuel lines from freezing. If you have a garage, park in it to keep your car warmer and you won’t have to scrape the windows if there is frost.
Have you ever experienced dicey winter weather here in Texas? If you need a new ride before the cold weather comes, visit us at Randall Noe Pre Owned Super Center today.
One of the best ways to save money while owning a car is to improve your gas mileage behind the wheel. There are a few ways to do this but it usually comes down to either driving habits or vehicle mechanics. That’s why we’ve written out a few of the best ways to save at the pump and reduce harmful emissions.
According to the EPA, one of the best ways to improve your gas mileage is to drive more efficiently. Simple, right? Well, it might take some effort to see significant changes. For example, aggressive driving—like speeding, rapid acceleration, and tailgating—can reduce gas mileage by up to 40% on the highway and up to 30% in town. By simply taking a deep breath and relaxing behind the wheel, you could save anywhere from $0.25 to $1.00 per gallon.
Another way is to perform regular maintenance. Skipping one oil change may not do serious damage, but missing several appointments could drastically reduce performance. You should also be sure to replace your spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter when suggested by your technician.
Finally, one of the best ways to improve gas mileage is to simply get a new car. If you’re driving a jalopy that gets terrible gas mileage, it might be time to trade up. With some of the savings that you could get in gas mileage alone, a new car could even be a great deal. For help with that, make sure to head over to Randall Noe Used Cars today.
In light of dangerous weather events taking place across the country in recent weeks, our staff here at Randall Noe Used Cars would like to take the time to share a few tips for safe driving in the rain with members of our community.
Beware the Wind
When the gusts are really coming at you in force, you want to be extra careful behind the wheel, especially on the freeway:
- Look out for large vehicles like tractor trailers, RVs, and other top-heavy motor vehicles; these types of vehicles are more easily pushed around by high-winds, and that can mean getting pushed into your car.
- Always keep two hands on the wheel in case a sudden gust comes up; you’ll be able to more easily right yourself with two hands than with just one.
- Look out for road signs that indicate high-wind areas, or try to avoid driving through areas that you know to be windy during storms or inclement weather.
Watch for Rain
- It’s natural to want to rush home when the bad weather starts brewing, but it’s important that you take your time when driving in heavy rains. Taking it slow increases your reaction time and reduces your chances of hydroplaning.
- Turn on your headlights. If other drivers can’t see you, you’re both less safe.
- Back off and give other drivers more space. As with driving more slowly in general, this will increase your reaction time, giving you back critical seconds to avoid an accident.
The most important tip for safe driving in the rain? Make sure you stay calm. It might be torrential outside your car, but don’t let that throw you off! A calm driver is a safe driver. If at all possible, avoid driving in nasty weather for optimal safety—if it can wait until tomorrow when the sun is out, bide your time and wait out the storm.
Thanks for stopping by Randall Noe’s Used Car Super Store blog! This is a great way for customers to get to know us, reading more about local used car tips, events going on in the area, car news, and more! If you have any questions or comments, don’t be afraid to leave us a comment so we can talk!
Your next used car is here waiting for you. Whether you’re located in Terrell, driving from Forney, or even Fate, we will make your buying experience as easy as possible. Our knowledgable sales staff knows our inventory inside and out in order to match each customer with the best car to fit their lifestyle.
Swing by our dealership today to take a look at our current lineup, or view our inventory online today! Don’t forget to check out our discounts and monthly specials as well. We can’t wait to make your car dreams come true soon.